Part of the St. Lawrence neighbourhood in downtown Toronto, the land on which it was built on was originally part of the shoreline of Lake Ontario. Immediately to the north, above Front Street, was the Town of York, the forerunner to Old Toronto. The site of the present day St. Lawrence neighbourhood was created from landfill in the early 1800's. It was originally intended to serve as a public promenade with a grand Esplanade along the waterfront. However the city turned the land over to the railways, which in turn attracted industry to the St. Lawrence area.
Also see Crombie Park